Friday, November 21, 2014

Selected to Serve

The letter started with, “You are hereby notified that you have been selected to serve as a prospective juror and you are therefore commanded to report to the Riley County Courthouse…”  I’ve been eligible to serve for 36 years and this is the first time I have gotten this far into the process.

I feel strongly about doing my part in the community, so I was excited about the opportunity. Except for a couple of things.

The dates for the trial were a concern, because they fell in a busy time for me.  But I resolved to make it work.  And then, there was one other little thing about the letter that struck a bit of a sour note for me. It was a word in the first sentence: “commanded.”  Really?  Commanded?  It seemed a bit harsh. All they had to do was ask – I’m more than willing to help. Isn’t everyone?  :)

They could have written, “We need your help with an upcoming trial, so please come to the courthouse on 11/17/2014. We look forward to meeting you. Thank you in advance for helping us out.”  But then again, I suppose experience has taught them that stronger “encouragement” is needed.

On the night before Jesus died, He got up from the table and grabbed a basin of water and a towel. And then He washed every dirty foot in the room – even the feet that were going to betray Him in a few short moments.

After washing their feet, He put on his robe again and sat down and asked, “Do you understand what I was doing?   You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and you are right, because that’s what I am.   And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet.   I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you. (John 13:12-15)

The Son of God, left a throne, to come and serve – to offer an example that encourages and commands us to follow His lead.  We have been selected to serve!

Today, in my daily scripture reading I read the following verse, “A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other.” (1 Cor. 12:7)   Moments before reading, a friend had invited me out to his house – I needed some air for a low tire. He had the air compressor and tire gauge I lacked, so he checked and filled all four of my tires.

Today I witnessed Jesus’ example and Paul’s encouragement!

Friends, “…don’t get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.” (Gal. 6:9)   Be excited to follow Christ’s lead. Take what He has given you and use it to help someone else. Serve with joy – not out of duty!

Selected to Serve,

Ron